New York City Nursing Home Neglect And Abuse Attorneys
Hundreds of thousands of New York residents now live in nursing homes or will live in nursing homes at some point in their lives. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities should be places where an elderly or disabled family member goes to enjoy a life of rest, comfort and safety. Many nursing homes in New York are owned and operated by companies or individuals who are motivated by profits rather than the needs of their residents. All too often, these facilities are staffed by individuals who lack proper training and/or do not have the best interests of your loved one in mind.
Once a family has made the difficult decision to place a loved one in the care of a nursing home or an assisted living facility, a family has the right to expect that their loved one will not be injured as a result of neglect or abuse. Unfortunately, nursing home neglect and abuse are realities in the State of New York and it is critical that nursing home staff members who injure your loved one through neglect or abuse are held accountable for their actions.
Nursing home neglect and abuse can be the result of any number of causes. Among the more common causes seen in New York are the following:
- The facility may be understaffed
- Staff may not be qualified for their assigned responsibilities
- Inadequate employee background checks
- Inadequate maintenance of medical equipment
- Inadequate cleaning of the facility
Nursing home neglect and abuse is often difficult to detect, and families should be on the lookout for common warning signs. There are various warning signs of a problem potentially involving nursing home neglect and abuse that are commonly seen in New York:
- untreated bedsores, wounds, cuts, bruises, or welts
- abnormally pale complexion
- bruises in a pattern that would suggest restraints
- excessive and sudden weight loss
- fleas, lice, or dirt on resident or in resident’s room
- poor personal hygiene, unpleasant odors or other unattended health problems
- torn clothing or broken personal items
Our firm will hold these facilities responsible for nursing home neglect and abuse, which can be exhibited in the form of:
- Bedsores and decubitus ulcers
- Carelessness and negligence resulting in death
- Medication errors
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Physical and sexual abuse
Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
If you have an elderly or disabled loved one in a nursing home or assisted living facility, the thought of that person falling victim to nursing home abuse is horrifying. Unfortunately, this kind of abuse does occur in New York. At the The Stein Law Group, PLLC, our attorneys have years of experience litigating personal injury and wrongful death claims on behalf of clients whose loved ones were harmed by nursing home neglect or abuse.
Contact one of our offices in New York City to schedule a free initial consultation with The Stein Law Group, PLLC. Call us toll free at 800-516-2812 to make an appointment.